Christmas Dinner - In A Cake? Whatever next?!
Why not try a slice of Weeton's of Harrogate's new 'Christmas Dinner Cake' made from all the trimmings - minus the turkey, however!
The Christmas Dinner Cake - which was baked exclusively for Weeton's by its multi-award winning cake supplier Allison Whitmarsh, of Proper Maid in Huddersfield - contains carrots, parsnips, cranberries, Christmas spices, chestnuts - and of course, the sprouts.
"We all know that vegetables are great in cakes but who knew you could get an entire Christmas dinner in there!" says cake connoisseur Allison. "While the cake was baking there was a definite whiff of sprouts, but the end result is absolutely delicious - Christmas dinner never tasted so good!"
Weeton's operations director Jo Loftus says she can't wait to sample her first sweet slice. "Allison has been providing us with delicious cakes for sometime now and we didn't think she could beat some of her more unconventional flavours, but this is festive and fantastic," she says. "There'll be no running around like a headless turkeys this Christmas - just serve a slice of this Noel novelty and you've got Christmas dinner licked!"
The Christmas Dinner Cake, which is topped with a cream cheese frosting and decorated with cranberries and white chocolate curls, will be available to try at Weeton's café throughout December, plus this unusual sweet treat is available to order this festive season.
And in case you want a slice of the action at home...
...that Christmas Dinner Cake recipe in full!
7" Cake serves 6-8
185g Wholemeal Chapatti Flour
135g Soft brown sugar
55g Dark brown Sugar
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Mixed Spice
1 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
30g Chopped Chestnuts
110g Vegetable oil
40g Sour cream
125g Grated Carrots
50g Grated Parsnips
50g Chopped Sprouts
50g Roses orange Marmalade
40g Vegetable Margarine or Butter
40g Icing Sugar
Cranberries and White Choc Curls to decorate
1. Mix together the flour, sugars, bicarb, cranberries and chopped chestnuts
2. Add the eggs, sour cream and oil and beat well
3. Mix in all the grated and chopped vegetables and beat well again
4. Grease and line 2 x 7" sandwich tins
5. Pour the prepared mixture into the tins
6. Bake 180°C for approx. 30 mins until cooked (test with the tip of a knife to ensure all
the mixture is cooked through)
7. Leave to cool
8. When cool spread the orange marmalade onto the bottom half of the cake
9. Mix together the Philadelphia, margarine/butter & Icing Sugar until smooth
10. Spread 80g of the prepared icing onto the top of the marmalade and sandwich
11. Spread the remaining 80 g of icing onto the top of the cake
12. Decorate with cranberries and white chocolate curls
Weeton's is located at 23/24 West Park, Harrogate, HG1 1BJ, 01423 507 100,