Banbury's Cornish Turkeys certainly live the rural idyll, raised by three generations of the same farming family outside Padstow on the North Cornish Coast.
And this year for the first time Christmas diners across the land will get to savour the difference between these birds and their intensively reared relatives - via a new national delivery service from www.cornishfoodmarket.co.uk.
"We hand-rear free-range black and traditional white turkeys here at Trembleathe Farm and they grow for much longer than mass produced birds so they develop that lovely deep turkey flavour," says Richard Banbury whose parents Fernley and Nancy, wife Clare and little daughters Gracie Ann and Roseanna all play their part in the nurturing process.
"I think part of it is also that our natural environment is so clean and clear with fresh air off the Atlantic - we're remote from roads and noise and commercial activity and the birds are raised as they should be - stress free."
For nearly fifty years these turkeys have been enjoyed throughout Cornwall at Christmas time but now the Banbury family - like scores of the county's best food and drink producers - are working with the team at cornishfoodmarket.co.uk to spread not just the word but the reality of best Cornish fare to the nation at large.
"We launched our website a year ago, delivering online orders of all this fantastic produce to homes and businesses in Cornwall and parts of Devon," says Sean Williams, MD of cornishfoodmarket.co.uk and its parent company Westcountry Fruit Sales, which delivers wholesale to restaurants and caterers across the two counties.
"Now we're delivering further afield and the Banbury family's turkeys are a prime example of why we are almost evangelistic about the wonderful products we can supply.
"The big supermarkets have had it their own way for far too long and their deal for customers, communities and their suppliers leaves so much to be desired. We're showing how you can provide a better service all round, with the freshest and best products, but still great value for money."
Alongside the Cornish turkeys cornishfoodmarket.co.uk's online customers can order award-winning wines and ciders, beers and juices, cheeses and pickles, clotted cream, mincemeat, puds and even mistletoe - delivered to doorsteps across the country. Check out their Christmas offerings from the top Cornish producers at www.cornishfoodmarket.co.uk.
cornishfoodmarket.co.uk...... was officially launched at the Cornwall Food and Drink Festival 2010, for which it was key sponsor again in September this year. For latest news, to register and to offer product suggestions visit www.cornishfoodmarket.co.uk.
· more than 3000 products, including
· more than 100 top local producers
· more than 1000 other food and non-food grocery and household items
· deliveries across Cornwall and parts of south and west Devon FREE to customers, Monday to Friday, with a minimum order value of just £12.50.
· products include the freshest fruit and veg, organic and non-organic dairy products, fresh Cornish meat and locally landed fresh fish.
· prices that compete with the supermarkets across all categories every day.
· Users can create their own 'Favourites' list of products they frequently purchase and even create and edit their own 'standing orders' for the various weekly food purchases they require.
Westcountry Fruit Sales Ltd
· Family business Westcountry Fruit Sales Ltd was established in 1856 in Falmouth, Cornwall.
· Now has 20,000 sq ft Distribution Centre at Higher Argal, near Falmouth, with a second satellite depot occupying purpose built premises in St Austell.
· In 1999 it established The Essential Food Co to supply the professional catering trade with an expansive range of dairy products and ambient food and non-food products, to complement its range of fresh produce.
· Now the largest Cornish based specialist supplier of foods to the catering trade in Cornwall. See www.thegreengrocery.co.uk.