Thursday, 8 December 2011
Need a dairy free Christmas? Then indulge yourself, happily,rice with Rice Dream!
However, for millions across the UK who are lactose intolerant, having to always check to see what the ingredients are means always being on guard to ensure that dairy and gluten doesn't ruin their yuletide fun.
Rice Dream, the healthy alternative, has come up with some delicious dairy and lactose-free recipes for the 12 days of Christmas that everyone can enjoy. The festive recipes are suitable for vegetarians and can also be gluten free, wheat free, soya free and seed free.
Nutritionist Fiona Hunter said: “With an estimated five per cent of adults in the UK being lactose intolerant, we understand that it can sometimes be very difficult for people who are lactose intolerant to enjoy the festive breaks because they have to constantly watch what they are eating.
“So we have created some easy recipes for the 12 days of Christmas so those millions of adults in the UK that are lactose intolerant can join in the festive fun without having to worry.”
Rice Dream has created 12 recipes for the 12 days of Christmas. The first day of Christmas can be used to make a delicious bread sauce which is an essential part of a traditional dinner but also wonderful with a Sunday roast, sausages and cold ham.
For those with a sweet tooth, the second day could be used making apple and spice muffins to be enjoyed individually or with the whole family.
Other recipes for the remaining days include a pear and chocolate smoothie, fennel and potato dauphinoise, roasted mulled plums with vanilla custard and toasted sweet nuts and a pear, apricot and cinnamon porridge.
As part of the festive spirit Rice Dream is are giving away a free 50p money off coupon for use against a range of its products including Original + Calcium, Original Organic, Vanilla Organic, Chocolate and Chilled + Calcium.
So this Christmas, use Rice Dream as a healthy alternative and enjoy the festive period without worrying about making sure whether it is dairy or gluten free.
For more recipe ideas and information on lactose intolerance please visit www.ricedream.co.uk/recipes.
To print a 50p off coupon for the Rice Dream products please register at www.ricedream.co.uk/coupon-offer-form.
Apple and Spice Muffins
Light and fruity muffins with chunks of sweet apple and crunchy nuts. Wonderful served warm for breakfast but equally delicious as a family tea time treat. Make use of any seasonal fruits but the combination of cinnamon and apple is particularly moreish and a sensational winter treat. Dairy free, you can make these gluten free by using original rice dream and substituting the flour for a gluten free flour mix.
Symbols: suitable for vegetarians, dairy free, can be gluten free, can be wheat free, soy free, seed free
Makes 10 muffins
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
80g/2¾oz xylitol or caster sugar
200ml / 7floz Oat Dream or Original Rice Dream
6tbsp light olive oil
150g / 5 ½ oz plain flour
150g / 5 ½ oz wholemeal flour
1tbsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ tsp cinnamon
2 eating apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
60g / 2oz chopped walnuts
Spice Topping, optional
1tbsp soft brown sugar
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/380F/Gas 5 and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Whisk together the eggs, xylitol or sugar, Oat Dream and oil.
3. Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the chopped apple and walnuts and lightly mix.
4. Pour in the wet ingredients and beat well.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
6. Mix together the sugar and spices and sprinkle over the top of the muffins.
7. Bake for 25minutes until well risen and golden.
8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips: make your own gluten free flour cake mix and store ready to use : combine together 125g / 4 ½ oz rice flour, 125g / 4 ½ oz ground almonds, 50g / 1 3/4 oz potato starch, 2tsp gluten-free baking powder plus 1/2tsp xanthan gum
Nutritional Information per muffin (10)
Carbohydrates 33g of which sugars 11.9g
Total Fat 12.6g of which saturates 1.8g
Nutritional Information per 100g
Carbohydrates 34.2g of which sugars 12.3g
Total Fat 13g of which saturates 1.8g
• Rice Dream is available in five flavours: Original Organic, Calcium- enriched, Vanilla, Chocolate, and Hazelnut & Almond. Whatever one you choose, it's the naturally good alternative.
• Rice Dream is available in Tesco, Waitrose, Asda, JS, Sainsbury’s, Co-Operative and independent health food stores.
• One 200ml glass of Rice Dream + Calcium provides 30% of the daily recommended allowance, which is as much as full fat milk
• Rice Dream is made from rice, which is a hypoallergenic food so, unlike soya, it's highly unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. Easy to digest Rice Dream is soft on sensitive stomachs, without the adverse digestive effects that cow's milk or soya can sometimes have.
• It is estimated that around five per cent of adults in the UK have lactose intolerance. (ref: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lactose-intolerance/Pages/Intro...).
• For more information go to www.ricedream.co.uk