Normally baked after Christmas by Andalusian families, Roscon de Reyes, is otherwise known as Three Kings Cake and tradition states that it contains a hidden toy , model king or butter bean which is said to bring year long luck to the finder. Traditionally served with an Andalusian tortilla or Spanish Omelette it is eaten either at breakfast or lunch during the festive period.
Andalusian Courgette Tortilla with Roast Cherry Tomatoes
600 g courgettes, sliced
6 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
3 spring onions, chopped
350 g cherry tomatoes (on the vine)
Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan add the courgettes and fry till brown. Season with salt and pepper. Heat another tablespoon of oil and sauté the spring onions. Keep one tablespoon of chopped spring onions back for garnish.
2. Place the tomatoes on the vine in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle with one tablespoon of oil and bake it for 10-12 minutes until they start to burst. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk eggs with salt and peppe r and add the courgettes and the spring onions. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan (ovenproof handle), place the egg mix in the pan and fry it for 3 minutes. Place the pan in the oven and bake the tortilla for 5-7 minutes. Place the tortilla on a plate and slice it. Top it with the chopped spring onions and pepper. Serve with the roast tomatoes.
Nutritional value (each serving):
ca. 405 kcal/1695 kJ, 17 g protein, 32 g fat, 7 g carbohydrates
Roscon de Reyes – Three Kings Cake
(Makes a 15” cake)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 litre milk
zest of 1 lemon
dried mixed peel for decorating
glace cherries for decorating
250ml whipping cream for filling
Model king / small toy / butterbean for decoration (optional)
1. Mix the baking powder 4 tbsp of the milk add this to 100g of the flour. Mix together until it forms a dough type mixture - cover with a clean tea towel and set aside until it doubles in size.
2. Place the rest of the flour (300g) in a bowl and add the eggs, sugar, pinch of salt, the rest of the milk and zest of the lemon. Mix well then add the butter and continue mixing for a further 2 mins then add the dough mixture - once a smooth dough has been achieved cover and set aside for 2 hours.
3. After 2hrs knead the mixture then put it in a ring shape on a greased baking tray. Decorate with the dried mixed peel and glace cherries. Brush with milk and bake in an oven at 160 degrees for 15-20 mins.
4. When cool, whip the cream and slice the bun in half. Fill it with whipped cream (you can hide the toy, model king or butter bean in the cream). Slice and serve.