Monday 1 August 2022

Rock Rose gins

In today's post I am reporting on two gins from Scotland's Rock Rose Gin Company.

The first is Scottish Botanicals Gin.

I like this gin as it has a nicely balanced range of tastes. 

It's a delightfully smooth gin with the classical tang of juniper berries, but there's so much more to this gin, which is the result of many experimental batches. 

There's a nice hint of citrus with other fruity notes underpinning this gin. There was something I could not identify that gave a little bit of extra fruitiness to this gin. I think that will be the sea buckthorn. 

Next I move on to the Rock Rose Gin Citrus Coastal Edition.

Wow! What a neat treat! This is like no other gin that I have tried.

The bouquet is not juniper, it has a good, warming citrus aroma and it has a good, warming citrus taste to it, also.

It's described as an experimental gin (there most experimental to date, apparently) and the distillation process includes a range of specially selected ingredients including locally foraged kelp from Shore Seaweed and liquorice salt from the Hebridean Mustard Company.

After the citrus flavour, there's a definite very pleasing aftertaste, but I'm not sure that I can identify it, but you'll know it when you try it.

Both of these gins are ideal neat (I prefer mine with ice, my wife prefers hers without ice) and they are both perfect for use with premium mixers and tonics.

My wife's gin and orange recipe (which reverses the more normal ratio, so you get far more gin than you are probably used to!) is ideal for both of these gins, but they are also superb with some real Indian Tonic Water.

A 41.5% Alc Vol. - 700ml bottle costs £35.00, but you can receive fairly generous discounts for regular orders.

Learn more at https://www.dunnetbaydistillers.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!