Wednesday 16 March 2022

Spice Kitchen gets you cooking with real Indian spices

My wife's family originated in India and she cooks the most amazing Indian dishes. 

She tells stories of how her father would travel 30 to 40 miles to the nearest large city with a sizeable Indian community every month or so and he would return with his tiffin tin packed to the brim with Indian spices, snacks and sweets.

Her mother told her that her father was cooking food that "children don't like." One day she begged a sample of some of the food that "children don't like" and found it to be absolutely delicious!

Afterward it became a running joke in the family that my wife would like "some of the food that children don't like!"

When I told my wife that we were receiving an Indian Spice Tin from The Spice Kitchen she said with great confidence: "If it's a real Indian spice tin it'll come wrapped in sari fabric!"

When I opened the box my wife was thrilled to see that it was wrapped in some really attractive sari fabric. "Wow! I like this very much!" she said with a broad smile.

She then added "It smells like home, just like when my dad was cooking one of his family recipes!" 

What do you get? The metal spice tin is very, very well presented. It has a clear lid meaning that you can see all of the spices which come in absolutely charming individual metal containers with the spices themselves sealed in little zip locked bags.

There are nine very fragrant spices. 20g of Garam Masala,  20g of Chilli Powder, 20g of Cumin Seeds, 20g of ground Coriander, 20g of Turmeric Powder, 20g of Mustard Seeds, 5g of Cassia, 2g of Cardamom and 1g of Cloves.

There's also a very handy Indian recipe guide which contains some wonderful recipes. You'll be able to make, with great confidence, if you follow these recipes, Dal Makhani, aka Black Dal, Tandori Chicken, Rajasthani Lamb Curry, Kerala Beef Pepper Fry, Smoky Aubergine Crush, Chicken Biryani, Lamb Keema with Peas, Bengali Potato Curry, Punjabi Chickpeas, Goan Pork Curry and Date and Tamarind Chutney. 

Not long ago my wife gave me the instructions to make some paneer which worked very well in one of her family recipes. I think that I'll make some more paneer and put in a plea to my wife to make some Paneer Makhani using the spices and the recipe in the tin!

I'm certain that my wife has a very similar recipe for the Dal Makhani recipe in the recipe booklet. However, the recipes my wife uses are not written down. My wife and her sister cook them from memory. I'm really going to have to get them to write them down at some point.

But let's get back to the matter in hand, the Indian Spice Tin. The Spice Tin we are reviewing costs £30 and it is worth every penny. Delivery throughout the UK is free, too.

But! There's more! So much more! On their website https://www.spicekitchenuk.com you will find World Spice Tins, Middle Eastern and African Spice Tins, Chilli Spice Tins, Moroccan Spice Tins, Gin Botanical Tins, Salt Spice Tins (including the delicious Anglesey Halen Môn sea salt!) Baby Spice Tins designed to introduce your children to spices and there are Tea Tins, too.

There are also spices sold individually, a very special range of gifts including cookery books and gift cards, drinks and cookware. And there is also a wide variety of very nifty recipes on their website for you to try at home.

Want some special wedding or party favours? Then The Spice Kitchen will be able to assist you put together a really first class event!

You'll be please to know that The Spice Kitchen isn't a major multinational company posing as a small,. family business because The Spice Kitchen is the real deal. It's a mother and son family business owned by Sanjay and Shashi Aggarwal. It began over the family's kitchen table and is based on the cooking expertise of Shashi who has five decades of cookery knowhow and experience.

They clearly enjoy what they do and do everything with a sense of fun and panache. When you buy your first Spice Tin from them, just check out their barcode to see what I mean. It's the first time I have ever seen any company, large or small, do this and I'm not going to tell you what it is. I'm going to let that come as a pleasant surprise to you! 

You can follow them on social media including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!