Thursday 4 February 2021

Heineken 0.0. It's Dutch lager but kinder

Curses! Here I am with my regular winter bronchitis. It's bronchial asthma, so my old Doctor told me many years ago.

Dosing up with antibiotics to help cure a parasitic infection that always occurs I read the paperwork that came with it (hint: always read them!) and I noticed to my dismay that alcohol is not allowed to be consumed with these particular antibiotics.

But then I remembered that I actually had a four pack of some Heineken 0.0, which has no alcohol in it. So what better time to run a taste test?

What's it like? Colour-wise it's not distinguishable from other Heineken lagers and the scent on it is of a nicely hopped and nicely yeasted Dutch lager.

What does it taste like? It's got a reasonable mouthfeel to it. You can certainly taste the hops the malted barley. 

What difference does carefully removing the alcohol make to the flavour? I'd like to say no difference, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate, because I find that alcohol does add a little extra bite to the experience of consuming alcoholic drinks.

But! Having said that, if you are not able to drink alcohol, due to an allergy or religious reasons (for example) are on medications that preclude the consumption of alcohol or you have decided to get yourself fit, then Heineken 0.0 is an excellent option. It's available in bottles, in cans and on draught too, in some of our more enlightened establishments. 

What's my final opinion of Heineken 0.0? I like it and I'll definitely get some more on my next trip to the shops, at least as soon as my antibiotics have finished!

PS Do you run a pub or other establishment that sells beers, etc? If you want to sell Heineken 0.0 on draught you can get Heineken's funky bar top Blade dispenser by visiting https://www.heineken.co.uk/alcohol-free-beer-is-now-widely-available-on-draught/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!