Tuesday 8 August 2023

Summers Under the Tamarind Tree - Recipes & Memories from Pakistan

Summers Under the Tamarind Tree - Recipes & Memories from Pakistan - by Sumayya Usmani, published by White Lion Publishing.

In this new edition of her award-winning memoir-cookbook, Sumayya Usmani celebrates the varied, exciting and all-too-often  overlooked cuisine of her beautiful birthplace, honouring the heritage and traditions of her home country through over 100 family recipes and evocative food memories.

Said Sumayya: “When people think of Pakistan, they probably picture a simple land which is plagued by troubles. But having grown up in Karachi, my memories of my childhood in Pakistan are filled with exciting scents, sounds and rich flavours. Food is the spirit of Pakistani people and the cuisine has been hundreds of years in the making.

When I moved to the UK, I was struck by the fact that despite a large Pakistani diaspora, our cuisine has never found its individual voice. My patriotic spirit and passion for the food I grew up cooking and eating sowed the seeds for this book. 

"I hope that the flavour of my heritage comes through in each recipe I share. This book is for my mother, grandmothers and daughter – the women who have always inspired me – and for my homeland, which is full of passion, promise and authentic flavour.”

What do people say about the book?

“Sumayya's words bring to life the aromas of her exquisite recipes, as well as the story of a little-known culinary heritage. It's wonderful to discover the world of Pakistani food and andaza (sensory cooking) in this perfect cookbook.” OLIA HERCULES 

“This book is a treasure.  Charm, information and what Sumayya calls 'the flavour of my Pakistani heritage' permeates every single recipe.” MADHUR JAFFREY

“My favourite sort of cookbook: personal, beautiful and full of things I want to eat.” MEERA SODHA

 £20 hardback, published in September.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!